Thursday 1 October 2009

Helvetica Documentry


I had been wanting to see Gary Hustwit's Helvetica documentary for over a year now so was pleased to find out that we were going to see it with uni and for a reduced price. The film is about the iconic typeface, Helvetica, it looks at how designers have used it over it's lifespan of fifty-two years and how peoples attitudes towards it have changed and differed over the years. I have always been wary of using it in my work as I knew that many designers argue passionately both for and against its use. I on the other hand have never been sure what camp I lie in.
Watching the documentary helped me see the bigger picture, Huswit interviews renowned designers from the UK, America and Europe to find out how and why they use the typeface, or why the avoid it altogether.

The designers that are pro-Helvetica are of the opinion that no other typeface is needed when you can use Helvetica. It's clean, sharp and extremely legible. It is a perfect communication tool which does not interfere with your ability to read or understand the product. It has become a subliminal typeface, used so often in our every day lives that we barely notice it. It has become the typeface of consumerism and conformity. It gives the impression of a large powerful brand, yet one that is still welcoming and approachable.

It is conformity of the highest order. It's a safe choice.

And this is exactly what the anti-Helveticans have against it. Some believe it is simply a cop out, it has become the default font for the lazy creative. Huswit interviews German typographer, Erik Spiekermann who argues passionately against Helvetica, claiming that the uniform appearance of the font was reminiscent of Nazi soldiers marching in line. Others believe it represents, Communism and the Vietnam war.

I believe that Helvetica is an outstanding piece of design. I consider it still looks fresh, modern and extremely usable after fifty years. And although I still might hesitate to use it within my work, I can certainly appreciate it as a design icon.

Here are some fun typography related links:

fun, fun, fun :)



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the documentary, but I'd never realised that there were people out there who were quite so anti-Helvetica.

    ReplyDelete