Tuesday 13 October 2009

Something I've noticed recently


Something that I’ve noticed over the last few months is companies not putting their web addresses on their advertising publications or bill boards.

I first noticed Samsung doing this in their magazine advertising for their new super slim LED TV. This is similar to the advert with the humming bird which has recently been on TV; unfortunately I have not been able to find a copy of the advert.

Instead of cluttering up the ad with long web addresses often including forward slashes, dashes and all sorts of unreadable and hard to remember squashed together words, there is now a trend for simply putting “Search online for…” in it’s place.

This looks much more elegant and also negates the question of do you include "WWW." before or simply just add “.com” when adding a web address to an advert, something when I was designing my editorial adverts last year at college received some debate from industry when I came to present.

I think it makes the company look smart and self assure about the strength of their product or service. I am not sure how many people remember web addresses on adverts but am sure people are more likely to remember a name or phrase related to the product.

Personally I know if I saw an advert for a restaurant which contained information of its name and location and also a website address, I am more likely to remember the name and location of the restaurant when I came to Google it than the web address.

No comments:

Post a Comment