Sunday 24 January 2010

How to Build an iPhone App that Doesn't Suck


I mentioned in my last post that we have been given a brief from uni to design an iPhone application. The brief states that "the app is to be original and designed by you." Which is a pretty wide criteria and leaves it very open to a variety of different subjects. Ideally I'd like to design something that I personally would find useful, something I or someone like me would buy and use everyday and utilize the iPhones fetures, such as GPS etc.

While I continue to ponder the best direction to take this project I recommend watching this lecture from Steve Marmon at Stanford University (in America) which covers the ultimate 10 steps to take when developing an app. It is primarily aimed at technically minded students that will actually be able to code their final idea, rather than me, a graphic designer that defiantly couldn't. But I still got loads out of it, so would recommend watching if you too are designing an iPhone app.

And lets hope my app doesn't suck!

2 comments:

  1. I watched part of the lecture and I found it quite useful also. Knowing the person and their problem is a good way to create a solution rather than coming up with a solution straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made an app that lets people get together and play an elaborate version of hide and seek last year, it was fun!

    ReplyDelete