Tuesday 24 November 2009

Broadband for all, a good idea?


The government are pushing for every home in the country to have broadband by 2012. Over the last decade the internet has become an enormously important part of our day to day lives. For young people and families computers are seen as lifelines for social, fun and work and for most of us the internet is taken for granted. But there are still huge parts of the country for economical and geographical reasons that can’t access the internet.

Recently I saw on the children’s news programme, Newsround a group of children being interviewed who had who had recently had internet installed. They were asking them what they mostly used the internet for and how it had changed their lives, and what do you think they said?

YouTube, MSN, and listening to music. Surprise surprise.

I understand to young people online activities such as talking to your friends and watching videos of laughing babies are important for keeping up with the rest of your peers, but I also believe these things are superficial. They are not making us happier or smarter.

Fifty years ago we had hardly any technology, certainly none that kids could access 24/7 and according to the Global Happiness Index we were twice as “happy” then as we are now.

Computers are not making us happy.

I am not saying get rid of computers, I for one would be lost without my laptop, but we do need to think hard about the consequences of plonking a computer with internet in front of a child.

There are no real emotions online, no personal relationships or quality time spent with friends or family. These fundamental emotions and skills are potentially being lost. And the government wants to continue and promote this? Like everything in life there needs to be a balance, as a society we need to rebuild communities, not just online ones, real ones, we need to reinstate family values before they’re lost completely.

Maybe the government should think about ploughing some of the money into youth programmes, sport centres, community centres and after school clubs where youths could access the internet in a controlled social environment. I can’t help feeling there are so many bigger problems in this country and on a global scale, that their priorities are completely messed up?

I feel by the government branding broadband as a right it is adding to our consumerist and “me me me” view of society. Not to mention that the target of 2012 seems very unrealistic. Everyone wants fast broadband but only because we’ve been sold the idea. I can’t help but feeling that it’s just going to be another let down, Wouldn't cutting homelessness by 50% or increasing our financial aid to other countries be a target a little more worthwhile?


2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying how computers are making us unhappy, I myself am always on the computer, be it at home in work or at university and I tend to get annoyed with this, the internet even though can be used for many good things has taken control of our everyday lives, it makes me think of what people would do if we no longer had the internet, especially young people who can't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having access to a computer and the internet is very beneficial. But i do agree that we don't spend enough time with each other. We probably talk online more than we do face to face which I find a little bit worrying!

    ReplyDelete