Saturday 6 February 2010

In my opinion...


Tracey Emin's My Bed

This is my response after reading Understanding Bourdieu chapter 8.

One of the things I have always loved about 'art' is that it is so subjective, it draws people together and it divides others, it sparks debate and stimulates conversations. Of course people will come along and state their opinions as definitive, or condemn someone's passion as trash, but really the beauty of the subject is that it's a personal experience, different from one person to the next. There are on the whole no wrong or right answers. Of course factors such as upbringing, social status and education play large rolls in defining or swaying our tastes, what newspapers we read and radio stations we listen to all have a bearing on how we react to art. But I believe the basic instinct of liking or disliking art is something private that comes from deep inside ourselves.

I don't believe that someone who is well educated would necessarily get more enjoyment from a piece of art than someone who is poorly educated. The better educated person may be able to understand the piece better on a technical level, be able to put it into context or it's time period or social surroundings, but you do not need to be an expert to know your own tastes and preferences. On a basic level of enjoyment and personal understanding and interpretation I believe art is the one thing that everyone can have an valid and interesting opinion on.

A big question is what makes something art? What makes something worthy of being hung on a gallery wall? Being put in a case in a museum? Or selling for millions at auction? Do we hold more value to a painting if it has been validated by a renowned critic or done by an already established artist? I believe we do. But does that mean we necessarily like it any better? Personally I don't think I do. I do not like Tracey Emin's work just because it's received so much exposure, press coverage and prestige. In fact I left her exhibition last year feeling slightly disturbed and uneasy, I couldn't think of one of her pieces that I liked. But that got me thinking, was that the emotion she intended I felt after viewing her work? Did she want me not to like it? I think what is important is that it was an experience that evoked an emotion from me.

I think art is whatever you want it to be, there are no right or wrong answers, it is constantly changing, tastes change and fashions will come and go, cultural and social movements will evolve. All these factors influence art and what we think of it. I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment